Friday, June 20, 2008

LIVE or DVD? Negative Technology effects on Dance

So here I am in my second week of the Technology class and I am learning so much about html codes, creating movies with pictures, the wonderful world of YouTube and I see so many different ways that I can incorporate technology into my dance lesson plans. I also see how technolgy such as ipods (see my Music and Dance post) have enhanced dance. However, I do see a downside to the use of technology in dance as well.

There are many dance dvds available now in the market. You can learn anything from Salsa to Swing to Belly dancing via video. In the privacy of your own home, you just pop in the disc and begin to dance. This does have its advantages - convenient, quick, costs less, private and you can look at it over and over again in order to pick up the steps. These are just a few good reasons why we choose to buy dance DVDs. With that said, I hope that people don't choose dvds over a live dance class. Nothing can replace the social interaction, attention to details and one on one instruction that a LIVE DANCE CLASS can offer. The dance instructor can provide you with feedback during your lesson that you cannot get with a DVD. She/He can watch your placement and alignment to make sure that you are learning properly and safely. You can ask questions from the teacher and from others that are taking the class with you. I believe that you should use dvds to compliment your dance classes, but not replace them.

Also, I think that videso/dvds are excellent resources for dance educators and dance lovers. You are able to watch so many different dances in the comfort of your own home. However, videos/dvds should never replace going to a live dance concert. Watching dance live is a totally different experience and there is nothing like it. You feel the energy of the audience, the anticipation of the curtain opening and of course the dancers moving across the stage with strength and grace.

MUSIC - we have so much access to recorded music and music devices ie: itunes, mp3s, cds, ipods, etc and as a music lover and dance educator I use them all. But, I think it is very important for dancers, students and dance educators to use live music as well. The communication/partnership between musician and dancer/educator is essential.

Dance History Books - as per my previous blog, technology helps preserve dance history, but we cannot forget about all of the great books on dance history as well. There are so many dance writers, critics and dance historians that use the pen to record dance events. The pen and paper is still one of the best inventions. Once again, use the videos with the books and do not replace oral and written history. The dance history books also support dance literacy.

So with all of that said, lets remember to compliment, enhance dance with technology. Do not use technology to replace the LIVE experiences.

No comments: