Monday, June 23, 2008

Music Technology and Dance

I still remember walking to the dance studio with a "Giant Boom Box" in one hand and my bag of cassette tapes and CDs in the other. I cannot tell you how long it took me to find the right song as I fumbled through all of the tapes and CDs I had in my hand. Not only was lugging all of that tiring and bad for my back, but I wasted alot of class time.

My how things have changed. I love the ipod!! Who doesn't? This one apparatus cannot only hold hundreds/thousands of songs, but it categorizes them for you, it fits in your pocket and you can use it for work, home and play. As a dance educator, dancer and choreographer it has made my life so much easier. I take the ipod to every studio and instantly have access to my whole music collection. Also, if I need a particular song, I can purchase it on line and download to my ipod within seconds. I think the best thing about the ipod is being able to share my music and listen to other people's music in such a convenient way.

My other new love is audacity. Although I know there are other music editing softwares that have more functions this is the one we are using in class. As a choreographer this gives me the tools to mix music for my dance pieces. As an educator, I can see my class creating their own soundtracks for class projects. How great is that! I know I am a little excited about this, but remember per my previous postings/blog, I am not very good with computers/technology. I am new to all of this and learning something new always makes me happy. My next step is to try out Garage band software.

With all of that said, I must admit I still have a box of cassette tapes in my closet :- )!

No comments: